Saturday, April 17, 2010

Did You Make It?

Are you where you thought you would be at this stage in your life? Alluring question.

We all grow up dreaming about being doctors, lawyers, movie stars.... Then, somewhere around high school a bit of reality sets in and we choose something actually attainable for ourselves.

Throughout high school and college, I wanted to teach high school level English. What interested me was Dante, Shakespeare, Hawthorne, Fitzgerald, Bronte, Heller, Salinger…. By the time I finished my degree, the thought of teaching high school age kids terrified me. (Still does)

When I first got married, neither my husband nor I wanted kids. We decided five years later that we did. I'd have to say, I have never been happier than I am as a mom. I love my kids to death. They literally make me laugh on a daily basis. I never thought I would enjoy staying home. Now, the thought that I may have to go back to work depresses me.

So, no, I am not where I thought I would be. But I cannot imagine myself anywhere else

No comments:

Post a Comment