Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bubkiss

I sat down to write something new today. Something fresh. Something unique. Appealing. Anything. What did I find? A bit of stale crust, smelly cheese, rotting apples... I could go on and on. But unfortunately, not with a fresh new thought. Funny how some days, my mind never stops. Others, nada. Bubkiss. Squat. (Well it seems the synonyms are running free.)

I can't stand the dry times. I sit and sit trying to will myself to write. Which, of course, only makes matters worse. The longer I sit, the worse I feel. The worse I feel, the slower the imagination. Vicious cycle. Terribly vicious cycle.

I guess it's time to get up and take a walk, go to the beach, the park... Whatever. Just away from the keyboard. Of course the moment I am away from the computer, no notebook in the car, then the ideas will come. And oh how they come....

That is an entirely different problem--when ideas flow freely with no way to catch them. See, I also suffer from a very poor memory. My amazingly detailed beginning to the next bestseller... gone. Lost somewhere between sleep and sleepiness. My fabulously witty memoir entry... gone. Interrupted by a sibling squabble. For some reason, once hatched, I cannot regain their essence. Oh, the basics are still there, but the wondrously lavish details and bits of sensory excitement, those vanish in the caverns of my mind. So many wonderful ideas lost in there. No wonder I have such amazing dreams....

No comments:

Post a Comment